As stressed in Reports in previous years, CIMPOR firmly believes in the concept of Sustainable Development as a means of ensuring that the economic, environmental and social concerns underlying its operations are treated on an equal footing. The Group clearly expressed this support when it joined the WBCSD – World Business Council for Sustainable Development in 1997.
In 1999, CIMPOR was one of the world’s ten main cement companies that launched the project entitled CSI – Cement Sustainability Initiative and it has participated actively in this project since then. More specifically, a five year action plan – Our Agenda for Action - was launched in July 2002 which identified six key areas for this business activity for progress towards a more sustainable society:
- Climate protection and management of CO 2 emissions
- Responsible use of raw materials and fuels
- Worker safety and health
- Emission monitoring and disclosure
- Impact from land use and on local communities
- Reporting and communication.